- Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE
Preble County Household Hazardous Waste Trailer
Located at the Preble County Landfill
4239 US Rt. 127 South
Eaton, Ohio 45320
We are happy to provide this service to the residents of Preble County at no charge.
Items accepted in trailer:
- Oil-Based Paints
- Resins and Adhesives – putties
- Acids, Bases, and Household Cleaners – household drain cleaners, bleach, ammonia, muriatic acid, oven cleaners
- Oxidizers – nitrate based fertilizers, chlorine tablets, pool chemicals, hydrogen peroxide
- Pesticides, Herbicides, and Poisons
- Aerosols – nozzle broken off
- Household Batteries – nickel-cadmium, lithium, mercury, silver oxide, and lead-acid
- CPU’s and Monitors
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Items to be placed behind weigh station (consult with office attendant):
- Used Oil
We do NOT accept latex paint!
Your scheduled trash pick-up or the landfill WILL accept latex paint IF you have done the following:
Remove the lids from the paint can to let the paint dry
Once dried, set the can of dried paint without the lid at the curb with your trash
To speed the drying process you may add kitty litter to your paint
COMPACT FLUORESCENT LIGHT (CFL) BULB
According to Energy Star, if every American home replaced just one light bulb in their home with a light bulb that’s earned the ENERGY STAR, we would save enough energy to light 3 million homes a year, save about $600 million in annual energy costs.
Earning the ENERGY STAR means products meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the US Environmental Protection Agency. Lighting products that have earned the ENERGY STAR deliver exceptional features while using less energy. Saving energy helps you save money on utility bills and protect the environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions in the fight against the climate change.
An ENERGY STAR qualified light bulb:
* Saves about $6 a year in electricity costs and can save more than $40 over its lifetime
* Meets strict performance requirements that are tested and certified by a third party
* Uses about 75% less energy than a traditional incandescent bulb and lasts at least 6 times longer
* Produces about 75% less heat, so it’s safer to operate and can cut energy costs associated with home cooling.
Fluorescent light bulbs contain a small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. When a fluorescent bulb breaks in your home, some of this mercury is released as mercury vapor. The broken bulb can continue to release mercury vapor until it is cleaned up and removed from the residence.
To minimize exposure to mercury vapor, EPA recommends that residents follow the cleanup and disposal steps described below. This cleanup guidance represents the minimum actions recommended to clean up a broken CFL, and will be updated as EPA identifies more effective cleanup practices.
- Have people and pets leave the room where the bulb has been broken and avoid the breakage area on the way out.
- Open a window or door to the outdoors and leave the room for 5-10 minutes.
- Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning (H&AC) system, if you have one.
- Collect materials you will need to clean up the broken bulb:
- Stiff paper or cardboard
- Sticky tape (e.g., duct tape)
- Damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces)
- Glass jar with a metal lid (such as canning jar) or a sealable plastic bag(s)
- Cleanup Steps for Hard Surfaces, Carpeting or Rugs
* Carefully scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place debris and paper/cardboard in a glass jar with a metal lid. If a glass jar is not available, use a sealable plastic bag. (NOTE: Since a plastic bag will not prevent the mercury vapor from escaping, remove the plastic bag(s) from the home after cleanup.)
- * Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag.
- * Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place the towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.
- * Vacuuming of hard surfaces during cleanup is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. (NOTE: It is possible that vacuuming could spread mercury containing powder or mercury vapor, although available information on this problem is limited.) If vacuuming is needed to ensure removal of all broken glass, keep the following tips in mind:
- Keep a window or door to the outdoors open;
- Vacuum the area where the bulb was broken using the vacuum hose, if possible.
- Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister) and seal the bag/vacuum debris, and any materials used to clean the vacuum, in a plastic bag.
- Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly.
- Wash your hands with soap and water after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing bulb debris and cleanup materials.
- Continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the H&AC system shut off, as practical, for several hours.
Future Cleaning of Carpeting or Rugs
- Air out the room during and after vacuuming.
- The next several times you vacuum the rug or carpet, shut off the H&AC system if you have one, close the doors to the other rooms, and open a window or door to the outside before vacuuming. Change the vacuum bag after each use in this area.
- After vacuuming is completed, keep the H&AC system shut off and the window or door to the outside open, as practical, for several hours.
Actions You Can Take to Prevent Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Fluorescent bulbs are made of glass and can break if dropped or roughly handled. To avoid breaking a bulb, follow these general practices:
- Always switch off and allow a working CFL bulb to cool before handling.
- Always handle CFL bulbs carefully to avoid breakage.
- If possible, screw/unscrew the CFL by holding the plastic or ceramic base, not the glass tubing.
- Gently screw in the CFL until snug. Do not over-tighten.
- Never forcefully twist the glass tubing.
- Consider not using CFLs in lamps that can be easily knocked over, in unprotected light fixtures, or in lamps that are incompatible with the spiral or folded shape of many CFLs.
- Do not use CFL bulbs in locations where they can easily be broken, such as play spaces.
- Use CFL bulbs that have a glass or plastic cover over the spiral or folded glass tube, if available. These types of bulbs look more like incandescent bulbs and may be more durable if dropped.
- Consider using a drop cloth (e.g., plastic sheet or beach towel) when changing a fluorescent light bulb in case a breakage should occur. The drop cloth will help prevent mercury contamination of nearby surfaces and can be bundled with the bulb debris for disposal.
- All fluorescent light bulbs that are NOT broken can be placed in the Household Hazardous Waste Trailer located at the Preble County Sanitary Landfill.